Chickpea and Blondie Brownie
The richness and nuttiness of this tahini and chickpea brownies is sinful. It is buttery and sweet, yet light and tender.
Chickpeas are aa vegetarian-friendly source of protein, fiber. manganese and folate and tahini is rich in minerals such as phosphorus, lecithin, magnesium, potassium and iron.
- 3 Tbsp ghee or vegan butter
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 flax eggs *see below for instructions
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 15 oz can unsalted chickpeas- drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour or gluten free flour mix
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (optional) and a few for topping
- Cooking spray - olive oil is a good choice
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Melt ghee or butter in a small saute pan over medium heat. Cook it stirring often until it browns. Do not allow it to burn.
- Transfer the butter into a bowl and let it cool for about 10 minutes (or put it in freezer for about 3-5 minutes if you are short on time).
- Once cool add the coconut sugar, vanilla and flax egg to the butter. Mix well. To make *flax egg 2 tablespoon of ground flax seed (measure after grinding in a coffee grinder!) 6 tablespoons of water. Stir well, and allow the mixture to set for about 10 minutes
- Place chickpeas, tahini and almond milk in a food processor. Process until smooth, scraping sides halfway through. 1 1/2 minutes on medium is about right.
- Place flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl to blend. Fold in pecans and chocolate chips. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture and mix well.
- Pour batter into an 8 inch greased pan (use cooking spray). Top with about 10-15 chocolate chips is using. Bake at 350 F until a toothpick in center comes out clean, about 25-27 minutes. Cool then slice and enjoy!