White Bean Soup with Pesto Drizzle
This soup is super creamy and rich, but has no dairy. We love this soup as a mid week add- in. It tops out at 15 minutes total to make, so we can squeeze this in any day we are in a rush, but want nutrition and gourmet taste.
Beans are the least expensive source of protein, especially when compared to fresh meat. Aside from protein, complex carbs and fiber, beans contain a powerhouse of nutrients including antioxidants, and vitamins and minerals, such as copper, folate, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium and zinc.
- 2 15 oz cans of cannellini beans- rinsed and drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 clove of garlic- rough cut
- 1/4 small purple onion- rough cut
- 3/4 tsp herbs de provence divided (this is what makes the soup so yummy we think)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 tbsp fresh basil
- 3 tbsp olive oil- more if needed
- 2 1/2 tbsp roasted almonds - no salt
- 2 tsp capers
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 tbsp roasted pine nuts for garnish
- In a blender (a regular blender is just fine) add beans, broth, almond milk, onion, 1/2 tsp herbs de provence, garlic and salt and pepper. Puree for about 2 minutes until well blended but still has a slight rough texture to it. If you like it really smooth, blend longer.
- Put the soup mixture in a medium saucepan and warm over medium heat.
- Meanwhile in a blender add the basil, olive oil, almonds and capers and cheese if using. Blend on low and then stop and stir with spoon. Repeat several times. Then blend on high to finish for about 30 seconds. Again stop and stir with spoon as needed.
- Pour soup into bowls and drizzle with the pesto and pine nuts. Enjoy!