Fresh Berry Coconut Milk Ice Cream
Fresh strawberries, coconut milk and natural sweeteners blend to make a tasty guilt free treat.
Makes about 8-10 servings
- 4 cups frozen strawberries- green tops removed and discarded*
- 28 oz two cans coconut milk (cocowhip cream)- use the cream only-**see below
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or raw local honey
- Add the coconut cream to a food processor and blend until soft peaks form (this will not form perfect peaks like a dairy whip cream). Scrape out and set aside
- Add all rest of the other ingredients into the food processor and blend until thick and creamy. Fold in whipped coconut cream and mix together until combined.
- Place all ice cream into a freezer-safe container and place in the freezer and allow to freeze for 1 hour. Use an airtight lid.
- Mix gently every 30 minutes - this will help it to thicken.
- Once frozen and firm- about 3-4 hours serve immediately. To soften thaw for 5-10 minutes before serving.
*You can easily substitue the strawberries for another berry such as blueberries or raspberries. If you choose blueberries, add in 1-2 tablspoons of the liquid coconut milk/water from your cans.
**Refrigerate your cans of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. Take out, turn upside down, open and pour off the liquid coconut water on top (store this-you can use it in a smoothie at another time). Then use the thick coconut cream that is left in the recipe for step 1 above to make your cocowhip cream.