Pizzeria Lola's Smashed Pea Crostini
This take on Pizzeria Lola's Smashed Pea Crostini is fresh, vibrant and full of flavor - a true crowd pleaser for this Labor Day!
- 1 Baguette (can use gluten free- we love "Against the Grain")
- 8 - 12 oz. burrata
- 8 oz. English peas
- Mint/basil pesto (scroll down for recipe)
- Pea tendrils
- Micro greens
- Olive oil
- Maldon or course sea salt
MINT BASIL PESTO
- 2 cups lightly packed basil
- 4 cups lightly packed mint
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup olive oil
- Add the shelled peas, a pinch of salt, and enough water to barely cover. Cook over high heat until the water comes to a boil. Cook until the peas are tender, for about 3 - 5 minutes. Drain and immediately place peas in an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- When completely cooled, drain the peas and transfer to a foodprocessor. Add salt to taste and pulse just until peas have a roughly smashed texture. Do not over mix. Set mixture aside.
- Slice baguettes into approximately 1" slices. Gently brush with olive oil and toast in the oven or grill until lightly toasted.
- Prepare the pesto by combining all ingredients into food processor and processing until completely blended and smooth. About 2 min. If it is dry add another tsp of olive oil.
- To assemble, spread pesto evenly on toasted bread, spoon a good amount of the smashed peas, a dollop of burrata and finish with maldon and a drizzle of olive oil. Garnish with the pea tendrils and micro greens that have been lightly tossed in olive oil. Serve immediately.
5557 Xerxes Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55410