Beet of My Heart Smoothie
This smoothie is the most fun color of pink thanks to the antioxidant, anti-inflammatory beets and berries! The chocolate gives it a nice "chocolate covered berry" flavor that's sure to be a huge selling point for even those that are strictly in the "no beets" camp! (Want the secret to why we call this our "love" smoothie? Beets are an aphrodisiac! This recipe serves two, so make sure to share with your honey after your morning workout...)
PREP TIME: 5 mins TOTAL TIME: 5 mins Serves: 2
- ½ small raw beet, diced
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon raw honey (or 10 drops liquid stevia, or 1 tablespoon agave nectar, or omit for a less sweet smoothie)
- 2 tablespoons shaved good-quality dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- Blend the beet, berries, almond milk, and optional sweetener until smooth. Divide into two glasses and garnish with the chocolate and coconut. Drink up!
- Beets: Not only are beets great for boosting your immune system and fighting inflammation, but studies show they can help fight cancer too! They're also a great detoxer, so this smoothie is excellent after a night of one-too-many glasses of wine.
- Raspberries: The raspberries offer antioxidants such as Vitamin C, quercetin and gallic acid that fight against cancer, heart and circulatory disease and age-related decline. Who can say 'no' to that?! We'll take a natural "fountain of youth" any day! Other benefits of raspberries? Cancer fighting properties, boosts immunity (can't get enough of that!), can help with fertility, and promotes healthy weight loss.
- Strawberries: Strawberries help with brain function and... are attributed to helping fight cancer and boost your immune system (catching our theme, here?).
- Dark Chocolate: Last, but certainly not least, the benefits of the dark chocolate! Any time we can have chocolate and know it's giving us some helpful benefits, we're in! Dark (premium) chocolate (70% cacao or higher) has healthy fats, antioxidants, several minerals (including potassium, phosphorus, copper, iron, zinc & magnesium), and valeric acid (which acts as a stress reducer).
All that being said, we think it's safe to say this smoothie is definitely one we would recommend! No guilt needed! Enjoy!