Berry and Beet Smoothie Bowl
This smoothie bowl is a powerhouse of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. It's amazingly fresh and sweet without that heavy earthy beet taste. We love the health benefits of topping with pecans, cocao nibs and coconut flakes, but you can use whatever healthy toppings you have handy.
- Beets: Not only are beets great for boosting your immune system and fighting inflammation, but studies show they can help fight cancer too! They're also a great detoxer, so this smoothie is excellent after a night of one-too-many glasses of wine.
- Raspberries: The raspberries offer antioxidants such as Vitamin C, quercetin and gallic acid that fight against cancer, heart and circulatory disease and age-related decline. Who can say 'no' to that?! We'll take a natural "fountain of youth" any day! Other benefits of raspberries? Cancer fighting properties, boosts immunity (can't get enough of that!), can help with fertility, and promotes healthy weight loss.
- Strawberries: Strawberries help with brain function and... are attributed to helping fight cancer and boost your immune system (catching our theme, here?)
- Hemp Seeds: Hemp seeds contain over 30% fat. They are exceptionally rich in two essential fatty acids, linoleic acid (omega-6) and alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3). They also contain gamma-linolenic acid, which has been linked with several health benefits. Hemp seeds are a great protein source, as more than 25% of their total calories are from high-quality protein.
- Cacoa Nibs: One of the main health benefits of cacao is for the arteries in your heart and brain. These are believed to be due to compounds called polyphenols. Also, The fiber and polyphenols in cacao may work together to help control your blood pressure and blood glucose levels. Cacao nibs have more antioxidant activity than tea, wine, blueberries and even goji berries. Added bonus they are one of the best sources of magnesium.
- Coconut: Eating coconuts are excellent for one’s immunity. They are antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-parasitic, meaning they kill harmful bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites.
- Pecans: pecans are high in healthy unsaturated fat and just a handful a day can lower “bad” cholesterol. They also contain more than 19 vitamins and minerals including vitamins A, B, and E, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc. Just one ounce of pecans provides 10 percent of the Daily Recommended intake of fiber. Pecans are also rich in age defying antioxidants.
Berry & Beet Smoothie Bowl
- ½ small raw beet, diced
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon raw honey (or 10 drops liquid stevia, or 1 tablespoon agave nectar, or omit for a less sweet smoothie)
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut chips or shreds
- 2 tablespoons cocao nibs
- 2 tablespoons diced pecan nuts
- 5-7 ice cubes
- Blend the beet, berries, almond milk, hemp seeds andoptional sweetener until smooth.
- Add ice cubes and blend until thick and creamy
- Pour or spoon into bowl
- Top with cacoa nibs, coconut and pecans